Thursday, December 2, 2010

Soup Kitchen in Full Swing... (White Chicken Chili)

After my Carrot Dill Success I decided to try #37 Carrot Ginger, which seemed like a more natural pairing. It tasted, well, like carrots and ginger. It was good, but I was not as thrilled as I had hoped. (However, if anyone needs a good baby food recipe..I recommend!)  In this recipe, which was precisely like the Carrot Dill except using ginger, I omitted the 2 tbs brown rice because my roomie doesn't eat rice. What a difference in texture it made! I will never underestimate the importance of thickeners/starches in a soup recipe (i.e. keep the 2 tbs rice)

My camera is currently broken, so I have been unable to take pictures- which significantly impairs my motivation to blog. BUT I am pressing on...(the above pic is courtesy of google images-don't sue me!)

This weekend I made a White Chicken Chili recipe which a friend promised was the "best chili recipe ever." Sure enough, it was darn tasty! It uses lots of canned ingredients, which I modified a bit to lower the salt content. But after refrigerating overnight as she suggested to allow flavors to blend..it truly was a great white chili recipe!

White Chicken Chili

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded (I shredded)
  • 1 10 oz can Rotelle tomatoes with green chilies
  • 2 cans White Northern Beans (I drained and rinsed)
  • 1 can white shoe peg corn
  • 1 can chopped green chilies
  • 3-4 cups Reduced Sodium Chicken broth (depending on how thick you like it..I do less)
  • 1/2 large yellow onion
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • Chili powder or cayenne pepper (a couple dashes, to taste)
  • Salt & Pepper (to taste)
Directions:
  1. Saute onion and garlic in cooking spray or oil about 5 mins, then season with chili powder
  2. Add tomatoes, beans, corn, green chilies, chicken and broth to pot. Bring to a boil. (I added chicken just after boil because it is fully cooked).
  3. Simmer for 10-15 mins. Remove from heat. (I think it is best the next day..so make ahead of time or in the morning to serve later in the day).
  4. Top with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream or plain non-fat Greek yogurt. De-lish!

No comments:

Post a Comment