Project "Eat through my pantry/freezer/misc-non-perishable foods" is still underway. Tonight was a success because I didn't use a recipe..which makes me feel like a real chef! And for the record, I like anything that is stuffed, or in individualized portions (like the Lovebird Chicken I made a few months ago). I don't know why- there's just something about knowing that it's just for me! Although with my upcoming marriage, I'm thinking dinners will look something like "2 for Chris, 1 for me"..or maybe even "3 for Chris..". The boy can EAT!
2 large bell peppers
1-1.5 c cooked quinoa (or rice or any grain)
1 c black beans
1/2 c shredded carrots (matchstick)
1/2 c shredded zucchini
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 c salsa
1 tsp cumin
Salt & pepper
1-2oz cheddar cheese
A few dollops of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream (pretty sure dollop is a scientific measurement)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Clean out peppers and cut in half (to make 4 halves total)
2. Mix the quinoa, beans, vegetables, garlic and spices in a bowl. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Boil pepper halves for 4-5 minutes.
3. Drain and reserve some cooking water to add to bottom of baking dish. Fill pepper halves with quinoa mixture.
4. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes. Then top with a few Tbs of shredded cheese and bake for another 10 minutes.
5. Remove and let cool for a few minutes. Add a big spoonful of Greek yogurt or sour cream before eating.
Makes 4 Half Pepper servings.
*I thought this needed something else...and usually when I say that I mean salt. So taste the mixture before stuffing peppers!