Saturday, August 13, 2011

101 ways to use a zucchini

Zucchini, like all seasonal produce, is overwhelmingly abundant here in Italy. Like the garlic, and tomatoes, and onions, and eggplant- if it's in season, it's about all one can find at the market. And I've learned that it is not just garlic that comes in large quantities, but it's quite a struggle to try to purchase uno mezza chilo (or 1/2 kilogram, versus a whole) of anything. (My husband asks, "well, why would an Italian need anything less than 5 heads of garlic?!) So, because the same angry man who sold me the original kilo of garlic has the best selection of most produce, I usually come home with a crate of tomatoes, 7-8 zucchini, 8-10 onions and about 14 bananas (and he still seems angry.. I don't get it!) Then the mad hunt for recipes using these ingredients ensues.

Well, this week both my mother and a friend of mine here in Italy sent me separate articles on how to tackle an overabundance of summer squash. The choclate cake from this article (http://www.takepart.com/news/2011/08/11/rom-breakast-to-essert-5-ways-to-use-your-zucchinis) looked so good- I couldn't even wait! I grated up some zucchini right then and there and stirred it into a Betty Crocker brownie mix. (See above-It still counts as a vegetable serving, right?) I followed the instructions for cake-like brownies because I knew the zucchini would provide extra moisture. I plopped large spoonfuls into paper lined muffin tins and viola! The husband didn't even know there was zucchini in them (I wasn't sneaking it, I just forgot to tell him.)


picture from C&D website

In addition to my zucchini sweet treat, I also made a Raw Summer Squash salad, which I adapted from another food blog that I have recently become obsessed with: http://cleananddelicious.com/. The recipe can be found here: http://cleananddelicious.com/2011/08/09/raw-summer-squash-salad-w-feta-and-tomatoes/ . Naturally, I added a clove of finely chopped garlic. This recipe is much better after sitting for a while..at least 30 mins. I've been eating it for several days and it gets better every time.

I am anxious to see what the fall and winter seasons will bring food-wise. Not that I am wishing away the summer, but a girl can only eat so much zucchini! At least it is never a challenge to get in those 5 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday :) Next weekend Chris and I are taking a roadtrip to a small village in Tuscany to stay at a Bed & Breakfast on a vineyard. I can't wait to see what we'll come across there! Maybe I'll try real Panzanella Tuscan bread salad.



1 comment:

  1. Cute!!! I'm glad you take advantage of the abundance of seasonal produce... I just continue to avoid it since I don't know what to do with it, hah...

    And we totally keep that angry man in business... he scares me, but also makes me laugh :-)

    ...I might actually buy some zucchini now...

    ReplyDelete